#

Cavite terminal seen enhancing trade, supply chain innovation

THE newly inaugurated container terminal at the MetroCas Industrial Estates-Special Economic Zone (MIE-SEZ) is being counted on to enhance trade in the province and supply chain innovation in the Philippines overall.

In a statement, the Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA) said Asian Terminals, Inc. (ATI) inaugurated the Tanza Container Terminal, Inc. Thursday.

The partnership calls for ATI and DP World to serve as the barge terminal operator. They will explore collaboration with MetroCas Properties, Inc. to transform MIE-SEZ “into a smart and world-class mixed-use economic zone.”

MIE-SEZ was proclaimed by President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. through Proclamation No. 513 on April 1. The proclamation identified six parcels of land (401,141 square meters) in Tanza, Cavite, as the site of MIE-SEZ.

MIE-SEZ is expected to bring in P500 million in investments and the employment of 200 skilled workers.

The terminal has a 100,000 twenty-foot equivalent unit (TEU) annual capacity, and a 2,500 TEU static capacity.

Some 60% of the special economic zone is earmarked for industrial use, while the remaining 40% will serve as utility areas, buffer zones, and open spaces.

Tanza Container Terminal, whose license was granted by the Bureau of Customs on March 25, aims to operate a barge terminal for PEZA locator companies.

Encompassing four hectares, the facilities of the terminal include a container yard, docking facilities with harbor cranes, loaders, and internal transfer vehicles.

“Tanza Container Terminal will be directly linked to the Manila South Harbor through barges, which increases the efficiency of container transfers and reduces land traffic in the region,” PEZA said. — Justine Irish D. Tabile